Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Screen Printing

In junior high and high school, at the school I went to from grades 5-12, we were able to do screen printing in Industrial Arts class. I thought it was so fun, and I am sure that somewhere I still have a piece of fabric emblazoned with a screen print of Joey Lawrence's head that I did in grade 10. And I always wanted to get back into screen printing, because really what could be cooler than printing your own t-shirts, but the process I learned it on was a little more complex than my little craft table would ever allow for.

So I was thrilled to see Beth post about a simpler method, and see a link to a tutorial on how to do it. But, the only embroidery hoops I could find in this whole town were cruddy cheap wooden ones at Wal-Mart. So I waited a bit and got a better one at Michael's in Barrie last weekend when I was there.

This little turtle was my first attempt (it's simply on cardstock). I rather like it with it's blotchy little dots, even though they weren't intentionally put there. The technique has neat limitations.


My second attempt was on fabric, an oriental inspired blossom. I like it too... I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet though. Might make a fun pocket.



I think that it would be fun to print some fabric to make a few purses or bags with... I'm going to do some experimenting hopefully this weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

An easier way to "screen print" is to chuck the screen and just plain stencil. If done on cloth, you can use sticker paper (not too expensive at office supply stores) or freezer paper (which stencilers rave about; if you iron it onto the fabric the waxy side holds down the stencil). Just print (or draw) on the sticker, cut out with exacto knife and apply paint with a sponge brush. You should remove the sticker pretty fast or it gets soggy and difficult to remove.

I made this duck that way: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/fractured/DSC05188.jpg

Mon Jul 18, 04:23:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home