Monday, April 25, 2005

Tiny Toque

I wanted to knit a baby cardigan for an upcoming baby shower, so I went to the library and got a brand new library card and signed out a few knitting books that looked somewhat promising.

I also went to the local thrift store and got a steal of a deal on a whole bunch of nice (but very fine/thin) acrylic/wool/mohair blend yarn in pink, off-white, and a pale peacock blue. And some smaller knitting needles.

When I got home, I really wasn't satisfied with any of the cardigan or sweater patterns, but noticed a Debbie Bliss cashmere baby "beanie" hat pattern that I thought I would give a try.

I ended up altering it, because I didn't like the garter stitch it recommended (takes too long, and on 3mm needles it already takes forever!). And I think there was clearly a large error in the pattern instructions anyways (it said to keep knitting for 7 inches, which would have produced a super long rather odd-looking sleeping cap rather than a beanie!)

It did take foever, I would say at least 8, if not 10 hours of knitting.




I wasn't sure how long to knit for, so thus it has this "convertibleness" built in with a flip-up brim-mie type thing. I've never knit anything for a baby before, and I don't have too much experience with baby-sized heads, and the pattern was weird.




So I hope it fits! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home